Home > Blog
Guidance and counselling are important for children, and schools have a huge role in bringing out the best in children. Good conduct is coveted, but sometimes young minds need guidance to polish their personality. Through counselling, children are given advice on how to manage and deal with emotional conflict and personal problems.
Proper counselling will help incorporate valuable lessons in their daily life. Some sessions should involve career guidance, where the students are advised on the selection of courses and different career paths. It's important to prepare them for life after school and what to expect in the different fields they might opt for
Following are some of the benefits that students get from effective guidance & counselling:
1. Students are given proper guidance on how to deal with psychological problems which can badly impact their studies. Through these sessions, the students will be able to develop certain problem-solving skills which to an extent help them deal with particular issues surrounding their lives.
2. The students are advised on how to cope with different situations they tend to face in their school life. For instance, how should they talk politely or relate with their peers. This advice will give them perspective on how should they behave in certain scenarios.
3. It helps to shape a student's behaviour and also instil enough discipline in them. Proper guidance helps them achieve their goals, well guided & counselled students know what to do and how to do things in the best possible way.
4. Students learn how to live in peace and harmony with others in the school community. Thereby, they also learn to appreciate other people in their class.
5. It helps to bridge the gap between students and the school administration, since they are able to guide their problems through a proper counselling channel in the office.
6. Students get comprehensive advice on career, courses and jobs that enable them to make a proper and informed choice and understand what they can do after they are done with school.
7. It allows students to talk to teachers about various experiences that make them uncomfortable. They can openly share problems that they cannot share with their parents.
8. Talks related to alcohol, drugs, personal feelings or any kind of abuse, can be openly discussed. Guidance and counselling also make students better human beings since they are counselled on how to act and behave in a particular situation
9. It enables students undergoing certain difficulties in their lives, to ask questions and clarify them through guiding and counselling. Therefore, counselling helps them ask without any fear since the person in charge is willing to help.
India has one of the world’s highest suicide rates among children belonging to the 15-29 age group. The main reasons include peer pressure, fear of failing in exam, depression, unemployment and likewise. There are several suicidal stories making headlines during the board examination.
Especially in India, children are under extreme stress, trauma and anxiety related to examinations caused due to peer pressure wherein children are forced to perform better. Students are taught to be perfect and well disciplined, as all teachers and parents want but it is also important to know the child’s consent.
The Indian Education System is always under the hammer for being competitive and focusing more on quantitative learning, long school hours, heavy school bags, improper curriculum. With this type of system, students tend to become less creative, innovative and leave no room for self-learning which is the need of the hour.
According to a recent news report in The Times of India, about 1 student commits suicide in every 55 minutes in India. In the past three years, more than 26,000 students have committed suicides due to stress, anxiety and depression.
Owing to huge competition and expensive education system, parents pressurize their children to perform well by packing them into a room with books and switching off the TV, internet connection and reducing the time for sports and other outdoor activities.
But this does not work. Rather, this makes the child depressed which burdens them with fulfilling expectations of their parents. Counselling helps in assisting the child in a proper direction so that he/she is well aware of what he/she wants to do in life. It is important to make your children understand the importance of education and guide them to pursue it.
Young minds need proper guidance that will make them potent to stand in society and make a name for themselves. Counselling not only helps them to make decisions pertaining to their professional career, but it also makes them confident and mentally prepare them for societal hardships.
Teachers help children to recognize their strengths, sharpen their interests and provides them with career options to explore their dreams. In a recent news report in India Today, about 85% of students have no clue about which career options to choose for higher education.
Parents and children still believe in bringing good grades to get into the best engineering or dental colleges that will give them a successful career. But, it is also important to know the interests of children, here the teacher plays a vital role. Choosing the right stream or field for the children is totally dependent on self-assessment.
Self-assessment includes observing the abilities, interest area, analytical skills, work style and personality of the child. With broad career options, teachers need to equip the child with all recent trends, current developments in different streams, demands and financial prospectus giving priority to the child’s interests.
Counselling sessions at an early age opens the lines of communication making children familiar with the importance of choosing the right career. A regular counselling session is about listening to the child and giving respective suggestions.
With regular guidance and counselling sessions, teachers can give the desired focus to every student. Continuous interaction with students can build trust which can fine-tune the relationship between the teacher and child. Counselling sessions are a gradual process to mould and redirect children for a brighter future.
Every child is special and unique in its own way. Productive counselling can help the teacher to understand how much attention is required to be given to a child.
Counselling helps in improving the relationship between the teacher and children which can be beneficial to develop control on the child. Every educational institution has its own goals that can be achieved if you have control over the children. This helps you to maintain discipline and keep your children in check.
Along with academic and career development, social and personal development is also important. Students need to acquire knowledge, attitudes and interpersonal skills to set their own goals, make their own decision and take necessary decisions to achieve those goals. Children need to also know how to be a good human being.
Nalanda International School, Vadodara is one of the schools that provide students with educational counselling in the senior years of school when students come face-to-face with some important decisions in their life. These are crucial years of their teenage life, so they naturally have many questions.
It's important to know what they feel or think and answer their questions so that they don't find random solutions to their problems, which can get dangerous. If as parents it’s hard to give time to your children because of the busy work schedule, enrol your children in schools like Nalanda International School , where they can be guided and counselled properly.